Most real estate agents and agencies go to great lengths to prepare their properties before listing them for sale. Extensive repairs and cosmetic improves are important for the purpose. However, one major problem that can destroy a property’s potential is the discovery of mold. Talk may be cheap, but when word gets out that a home has a mold problem, house buyers may avoid it like the plague!
Agents usually have no idea there is a mold issue until a home inspector who’s been hired by the prospective buyer finds it. Any signs of mold should be addressed immediately! The problem is often that the homeowner has no idea it’s there in the first place. Serious types of mold may be present for months and go undetected because the homeowners can neither see it nor smell it. Molds and fungi can grow on virtually any surface, from wood, to brick, to fabric, and even glass. Another problem is that the growth frequently takes place in the nooks and crannies of basements, attics, behind walls, ceilings and other hard to reach places. Mold can grow for months until it has completely established a strong foothold that will require drastic means and a hefty sum in order to remove it and repair the damage it’s caused.
It’s not safe:
The health complications caused by molds include respiratory problems, rashes, fever, fatigue, dizziness, headaches, chronic sinusitis, asthma, and eye irritations. In addition to physical ailments, it makes the home sick as well, with wood rot and decay! As a homeowner, it is important to stay on top of any leaks or excessive moisture issues that may arise. Proper ventilation and keeping your home’s humidity level in check are preventive measures that everyone, especially those living in damp climates, should consider.